strangled

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 2 14:49:08 UTC 2009

At 10:31 AM -0400 7/2/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 7/2/2009 09:45 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>>i suspect that many people are inclined to discriminate transitive
>>"strangle" (normally conveying an endpoint) from transitive "choke
>>(not necessarily conveying an endpoint).
>
>In other words, "strangled" generally means "terminally choked".
>
>Joel

And then there languages like Mandarin, Korean, Hindi, etc., in which
if you "kill" someone (with a lexical causative) they don't
necessarily die--you have to kill them dead to be on the safe side.

And speaking of "terminal(ly)", I just got one of those interminably
circulating e-mail lists of new useful words and definitions; it
includes "hipatitis", defined as 'terminal coolness'.

LH