RES-ISLAND

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 4 19:18:53 UTC 2009

This type of construction is very common conversationally, just
because, as Arnold approx'ly pointed out, there is no good standard
way to say it.

Hebrew, OTOH, has a (conjunction?) "she-" that allows any kind of
embedding, and in isolation something like 'such that'. I'm thinking
of blessings like Shehakol (quoted & translated here from
http://www.chabad.org/library/howto/wizard_cdo/aid/278547/jewish/8.-Shehakol.htm):

> Baruch atah A-donay, Elo-heinu Melech Ha’Olam shehakol nihiyah bed'varo.
> Blessed are You, L-rd our G-d, King of the universe, by Whose word all things came to be.

she-Â Â Â  such that
hakol   everything = ha (def. art.) + kol 'all'

nihiyah   (form of the verb 'be', I don't know enough Heb. to
translate it exactly)

bed'varo   by your word = be (prep.) + dvar 'word' + -o (2sing)

m a m

AZ: