cooties

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 6 15:33:36 UTC 2009

At 10:45 AM -0400 7/6/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I can picture the "device," but IIRC in my Manhattan elementary school it
>was used to offer advice and tell fortunes, not to catch "cooties" in any
>sense of the word.  Possibly it was called a "Chinese fortune cookie," which
>it resembled in shape. But that may simply be my imagination playing cruel
>tricks on all of us.
>
>The seven-year old spirit medium would inscribe a pair of messages on the
>inside, which would appear alternately as his (usually her) fingertips
>opened and closed the folded
>paper.
>
>The supplicant would call an odd or even number and the medium would open
>and close the mystical folds accordingly, then reveal the visible message.
>
>"Yes" or "No" questions worked best. In theory the device could direct all
>of your future actions, so it was important to use a medium you could trust.
>

>JL

Yes, that sounds right to me as well, and there was a chant that
accompanied the manipulation of the device.  It would also tell you
your (or whoever's) favorite color and other such information.
Fortunes were part of it, but not cooties.  If they were (sometimes?)
called "cootie catchers" (Jon's "fortune cookies" does ring a distant
bell) I probably processed it as an opaque label, and certainly
didn't make any connection with lice.  As I mentioned earlier, I
never thought of a cootie in the singular; cooties in the plural were
as abstract as the willies or the creeps.  IIRC.

LH