shirting

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jul 7 15:00:45 UTC 2009

"Shirting" as "material for shirts" goes back to 1604; "shirt" as
verb to 1601.  It's hard for me to tell from the quotations whether
the OED has "shirting" in the present verbal sense, which seems to be
"making a shirt for", as distinguished from the verbal sense "to
clothe with a shirt" and the noun senses of material or garment.

Joel