"mannery"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 8 03:53:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> At 7/7/2009 04:03 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:
> >Not a future Earth. I would explain the actual setting, but this message
> is
> >too small for it.
>
> Typical of LeGuin?

Hainish universe.

To those in the know, that means: The premise is that our planet is one of
many on which humanity was sown and then abandoned. There is no "elder race"
as such: the sowers were themselves humans, of the planet they call Hain,
and their society currently -- say, the most recent hundred thousand years
or so, IIRC long after reading -- greatly regrets the abandonment and is
making efforts to contact the scattered human planets peacefully and
non-forcibly, and to do what they can to help us and our other cousin folk
remedy the various messes we've got ourselves or each other into. See
http://www.ursulakleguin.com/BirthdayWorldIntro.html.

I warned you it would be a longish explanation.

m a m