Fail as an adjective

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Jul 10 14:25:29 UTC 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 6:01 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 7/10/2009 05:12 AM, Lynne Murphy wrote:
>> Or is it that 'so' has become an all-purpose intensifier that goes
>> with
>> nouns as well as adjectives?
>
> Like "It was so fun."

not really.

we've covered the case of "fun" here several times in the past.  the
summary is that alongside the noun "fun" an adjective "fun" has
developed for many speakers (to the grave dismay of many commenters).
(in previous discussion, we looked at possible routes to this
development.)

we then get the adjective "fun" with the full range of degree
modifiers (e.g., "very fun"), and some speakers have an inflectional
comparative ("funner") and superlative ("funnest"). (the noun "fun"
continues in use, as in "it was a lot of fun".)

arnold