"palfrey" = medieval warhorse; charger

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 11 04:19:29 UTC 2009

Back in the day, the Army shuttle from now-defunct Andrews Barracks to
now-defunct Tempelhof Air Force Base left from a stop on
Freiherr-von-Richthofen-Strasse. Of course, Manfred Albrecht may not
have been the only Freiherr von Richthofen deemed worthy of having a
street in Berlin named after him.

-Wilson

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Jonathan
Lighter<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: "palfrey" = medieval warhorse; charger
>
> Well, some aviators demonstrated some chivalry on the ground. When the Red
> Baron was shot down behind British lines, an RFC officer ordered a full
> military funeral for him as an honorable and outstanding fellow aviator.
> That sort of thing.
>
> CNN was unvailable to poll the feelings of other airmen at the event.
>
> JL
>

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: "palfrey" = medieval warhorse; charger

>> At 7/9/2009 07:55 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>> >She may have strained for "palfrey" because it sounds so much more
>> medieval.
>> >As it relates to WW1 aviators, the knightly image itself has been trite
>> for
>> >over ninety years now.
>> >
>> >And it was not true of aerial combat anyway.
>>
>> Are you telling Virginia that Snoopy is not real? Â How cruel! Â My
>> (World War I) hero!
>>
>> Joel

-Wilson
–––