slapjack

Paul paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Sat Jul 11 09:39:21 UTC 2009

Back in my nightclub/bouncer days, a blackjack was a leather sack filled
with lead shot, weighed about 10 ounces with a 4 inch handle was a true
killing weapon; slapjacks were 10 inch stiff leather slappers perhaps an
inch wide by 1/4 inch thick, with a 6 ounce lead weight sewn in one end.
The blackjack was a true thug's weapon whereas the slap jack was more of
a quieter. A slap on the bicep would leave someone unable to raise their
arm long enough to solve whatever problem they were causing; if that
first hit didn't disable them than a slap across the forehead/temple was
usually enough to end the argument. Blackjacks were really illegal but
slapjacks could be bought in shops selling cop supplies.