perfect synonyms--chamber pot

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 11 10:44:34 UTC 2009

Since 'slapjack' can mean chamber pot, I remember such a container being called a 'slop jar' in my childhood. Can this be a variation of 'slapjack'?

--Margaret Lee

--- On Fri, 7/10/09, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Subject: perfect synonyms
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Date: Friday, July 10, 2009, 3:50 PM

I can now reveal two comparably synonymous English words. They are
so mundane, however, that no one will be impressed.

The envelope please:

"Flapjack" and "slapjack."

Objection: whereas "gorse" and "furze" have the virtue of always meaning
each other, "slapjack" can also mean "chamberpot."  At least that's what the
late Fred Cassidy told me many years ago.

Gorse/furze, flapjack/slapjack.  I guess it's...a toss-up.

JL