OT: Barnaby (was Re: Pairing "biased" media)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 11 22:39:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you old enough to remember PM, Joel? When I was young, PM was the
> "white" newspaper of choice among blacks, IME. For some reason, -
> probably because I was so young, at the time, the I have a *very*
> clear memory of "Barnaby" (I thought that his name was pronounced "bar
> NAY bee") and his fairy godfather, "Mr. O'Malley."
>
> -Wilson

Ah, what a blast from the past. I never read it in the paper, but from as
far back as I can remember I loved the book with the stories in it, at least
four complete sequences -- starting with Mr. O'Malley's arrival and ending
with the family in front of the living room window:

(mother) What was that?
(father) Past the window... a large bird...
(Barnaby, now outside and running across the yard) "MR. O'MALLEY!!!"

Either I or my sister still has this book, a family treasure.

m a m