Pairing "biased" media

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 13 19:25:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu>
wrote:

> It would be well to make a distinction between "biased" and "having a
point of view".  In my vocabulary, "biased" means dishonest reporting --
willfully omission of material information, disregard or misrepresentation
of dissenting opinion, falsification. . . .
> The curs who yelp about the bias in liberal media are much more likely to
maintain their point of view on poverty, climate change, evolution, and
other topics the right wing holds in scorn, with dishonest reporting than is
the Times or NPR.

I had some trouble parsing the last sentence, but now I think I have it.
What threw me is the distance between "maintain" and the adverbial PP "with
dishonest reporting".

The curs who yelp about the bias in liberal media are much more likely to
[VP maintain
   [NP their point of view on poverty, climate change, evolution, and other
topics the right wing holds in scorn,]
   [PP with dishonest reporting]
]
than is the Times or NPR.