Assertion: Earliest "ice-tea" is 1842

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 16 20:25:38 UTC 2009

At 7/16/2009 04:02 PM, Victor wrote:
>There seems to be a remarkable similarity between the 1842 and 1852
>texts--in fact, close enough to pass for plagiarism today. Of course, it
>is also possible that both are just paraphrasing the same text.

My guess is that Kohl's 1842 edition of _Russia and the Russians, in
1842_ (2 vols.) is the original, and the 1852 _Home and Social
Philosophy: Or, Chapters on Every-day Topics_ is a review with
extensive quotations, not uncommon I think in the mid-1800s.  But I
have not looked at the _Home and Social Philosophy_..

 From 1852 there is also an edition of Kohl, _Panorama of St.
Petersburg_ (one vol.), which has changed to "iced" on p. 22 -- that
is, with a D whereas the 1842 has "ice-" with a hyphen -- an
interesting modification.  (Perhaps this edition of Kohl too was
reviewed/quoted (or plagiarized) in 1852.)  Page 22 reads:

"Throughout the summer, ices are sold in the streets of every Russian
town; and not only iced water, iced wine, and iced beer, but even
iced tea, is drunk in immense quantities."

Joel