"bone marror"

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sat Jul 18 10:42:11 UTC 2009

I've always been struck by the eye dialect in the songs of the musical 'Oklahoma', where words such as 'willow' and 'window' are spelled 'willer' and 'winder' ('and an old weeping willer is laughing at me')  And the original Broadway cast recording reflects those intended pronunciations.
And of course, there's 'feller' and Old Yeller
On the other hand, I have /o/ (tense o) in most of those words.  But then I was raised in r-ful Toronto by r-less parents.  Go figure.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)