the pronunciation of "patio"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 21 16:12:24 UTC 2009

from thefreedictionary.com for "patio" I hear

USA = ~padee'oe  (~a as in "hat", ~ee as in "tree", ~oe as in "toe"
UK = ~patee'ue   (~ue as in "true")

USA says ~d for "t"
For both, stress is on first syllable.

see truespel.com

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Arnold Zwicky
> Subject: Re: the pronunciation of "patio"
>
> On Jul 20, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Doug G. Wilson wrote:
>>

>> I don't see a pronunciation of "patio" with /S/ or /s/ in English
>> dictionaries at a glance.
>>
>> However, handy on-line French dictionaries (ATILF, Acad. Fran.) show
>> "patio" pronounced both /patjo/ and /pasjo/, the latter close enough
>> Baum's presumed /paSiow/ I think.
>>
>> So maybe this is a Frenchified pronunciation.
>
> this is an excellent idea -- and it wouldn't depend on the
> pronunciation being based on an actual French pronunciation, since
> English adopts many words from Spanish with "frenchified"
> pronunciations based on spelling, rather than directly on French
> pronunciations.
>
> arnold

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Search, add, and share the web’s latest sports videos. Check it out.
http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_sports_videos_072009&cat=sports