interstate highway to Cupertino?

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Jul 21 19:49:35 UTC 2009

Only marginally relevant, but, for those who actually know the rarer word, do you have the same stress pattern for the two?  I don't.
For me the words are [ínterstà te] vs [intéstà te] where the legal term has primary stress on the middle syllable, leading to an aspirated /t/ before it, while the highway sense has a trochee in which the /nt/ is a nasalized flap, merging with /n/ as if it were 'innerstate' (like 'inner tube').  So this would have to be a typing/spelling confusion, surely.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)