"A hard road to hoe"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 26 03:21:07 UTC 2009

That's true. But what surprised me is that Google shows that this a
favorite *pet peeve* of a surprising number of "ordinary," so to
speak, people. I took only a casual glance at the first few hits, but
it seemed as though there are almost as many instances of people
bitching about the fact that there are people who use this as there
are instances of people who use this.

Me myself, as we say in the 'hood, I'm not annoyed by it at all.

-Wilson

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Mark Mandel<thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "A hard road to hoe"
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I heard this - spoken by a Judge - for the first time, yesterday.
>> However, a quick googling showed me that I'm away <har! har!> behind
>> the curve - or is that  "way behind the curb"? - on this one. Ordinary
>> people, not just we
>> my-god-how-can-you-possibly-fxck-up-a-millenia-old-cliche types, are
>> going nuts over this one.
>

> And the answer, although you didn't ask and I'm sure you're aware, is that
> most of us are at least a couple of generations removed from hoeing rows of
> crops, or weeding or picking or doing anything else with them.
>
> Alas.
>
> m a m

-Wilson
–––