"who" vs. "that"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 26 15:22:34 UTC 2009

I believe I mentioned long ago that my undergraduates over a period of
decades *rarely* used relative "who," in writing or anywhere else.  "That"
was the nearly the universal choice.

There was also a very small proportion who used "which" in writing (as used
in the Lord's Prayer), though I never noticed it in their speech.

I now see it rather often on the Net, however.

JL