"who" vs. "that"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jul 26 21:00:50 UTC 2009

Has no-one mentioned the comma "rule" -- a restrictive relative
clause has no comma, a non-restrictive has a comma?

While I personally do not say "that" for women (I'm more PC than that
-- I use "who"), I think I give more credence to the comma than to the pronoun.

Thus "Research shows women, that eat breakfast, have fewer problems
with weight" suggests to me that women generally eat breakfast, and
for some (perhaps other) reason have fewer problems with weight than ... men?

While "Research shows women who eat breakfast have fewer problems
with weight" suggests to me that those women who eat breakfast have
fewer problems with weight than women who don't eat breakfast.

Joel