Dueling dialects

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 29 05:30:52 UTC 2009

The neighbour's way may be quite widespread, among all ethnic groups.
My wife, of Ukrainian-Catholic extraction from NE Pennsylvania,
likewise sees nothing strange about the neighbour's turn of phrase.
Anymore, I'm unsurprised by what she finds unsurprising.:-)

Lest the joke be lost, this use of "anymore" is a peculiarity of the
speech of Pennsylvania, among other places. Anymore, my wife tries to
avoid using it, because I keep teasing her about it, anymore. :-)

-Wilson

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:35 AM, James Harbeck<jharbeck at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
> Subject:      Re: Dueling dialects
>
> As it happens, I grew up in Alberta used to the way the neighbour
> says it. This Wednesday is Wednesday this week; next Wednesday is
> Wednesday next week. I'm not sure if that was mainly local influence
> or if it came from my parents, who are from the Buffalo area.
> Whatever the case, it didn't seem to hold in Boston and it doesn't
> seem to hold in Toronto, so now I've gotten to doing it Jerry's way.
>
> James Harbeck.

-Wilson
–––
-----