An African American proverb (?)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 31 15:59:51 UTC 2009

Or is "lot" a noun -- "What lot [fate] God got out for a man he'll
get it."  So grammatically (or transcriptionally) a transposition of
"God got" and "lot".

While I can't attest to an African-American proverb, in the 18th
century the thesis that one's station in life was pre-ordained by
God., and that one (especially a slave) should willingly and happily
accept it, was commonly promoted.  (If necessary, I can provide a lot
of authorities.)

Joel