"People of color" was; Re: Whom Hispanics call "Hispanic" -- or not

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 1 15:31:02 UTC 2009

I'm familiar with the term, "trick bag," of course. It's as old as
"trick," as a slang term. They both date to at least the '60's as
slang and may be older, BTW, had you even been born in those days?
But, IME, "trick bag" was rare and non-standard in *Los Angeles* in
this particular use. I've never noticed, if the use is different
elsewhere. "Trick" : "trick _bag_" :: "mojo" : "mojo _hand_" is the
way that I've internalized it.

A trick bag has _tricks_ in it. A mojo hand has _mojo_ in it.

"The HP stopped me on the way to work. Since I had left my wallet on
my dresser, I didn't have my driver's license on me, man, I was in a
trick! [Los Angeles has it set up in such a way that, even if you're
merely going to pay the ticket and not fight it, you *still* have to
appear in court *in person*, where you will wait in line for three or
more hours with hundreds of other traffic scoff-laws, while paying
$5.00/hr - probably about $25.00+/hr in today's dollars - to park. You
can always walk, but, in L.A., you'll be walking a while!] But then
the dude let me slide, probably because I *keeps* a mojo hand under my
shirt."

In the PB fantasy novel, Conjure Wife, Fritz Leiber uses the simple
"hand" to describe a bag containing magical protective material worn
around the neck, i.e., a _mojo_ hand. I've tried checking the OED for
this meaning, but there are just too many meanings to go through.

IAC, in L.A., people used only "in a trick," where my grandfather
might say, "in a tight." But a "trick" could be much worse than a
"tight." Of course, my grandfather was an old man and a minister.
There weren't many tights that he was likely to have gotten into.

Anyway, "in a trick" seems fully natural to me, used by everyone. "In
a trick bag" is rare. But that, as the colored say, is just me.
Different strokes.

-Wilson
-Wilson
–––