relative vs. absolute

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 3 15:52:13 UTC 2009

"Relative" here is being used for an ordinal scale, which is more
meaningful than a nominal one but less than an interval or ratio
scale. There are four classes of value: nominal, ordinal, interval,
and ratio, in ascending order of rigor. (My mnemonic for them is
"noir".)

Nominal: Each value has a name, but there is no order or comparison
between them. E.g., for "nationality" you might have values like
France, UK, Trinidad and Tobago, Japan, USA, Philippines. I'd be
unwilling to call such a classification a "scale" at all.

Ordinal: The values are ordered, but there is no arithmetic comparison
between them. For example, cancer is "staged" in increasing order of
development and seriousness as I, II, III, IV, with substages like
IIIa and IIIb, but it's meaningless to ask whether Stage III is twice
as far from Stage I as it is from Stage II. The Mohs scale of hardness
is a classic example of an ordinal scale.

Interval: The values are ordered and can be subtracted, but not added,
multiplied or divided. The interval between Sept. 12, 2000 and Sept.
12, 2009 is 9 years, but "Sept. 12, 2000 + Sept. 12, 2009" is
meaningless. Similarly,   Jan. 1, 2000 isn't twice as (anything) as
Jan. 1, 1000,   100 degrees Fahrenheit isn't twice as hot as 50, and
40 degrees west longitude isn't four times as west as 10 degrees west,
except as measured from their scales' arbitrary zeros.

Ratio: The values can be treated as numbers: meaningfully subtracted,
added, multiplied or divided. $6 is twice as much as $3,   300 degrees
Kelvin is three times as hot as 100, and a person of 60 is twice as
old as a person of 30.   40 degrees north latitude is twice as far
north as 20 degrees north (and the equator, unlike the Greenwich
meridian, is not arbitrary).

Google gives about 18k hits for /+nominal +ordinal +integer +ratio/.
This one (http://tinyurl.com/qskmrh) is helpful:

Data mining: practical machine learning tools and techniques with Java
implementations
By Ian H. Witten, Eibe Frank
Edition: 2
Published by Morgan Kaufmann, 2000