"Blue balls"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 6 02:41:09 UTC 2009

He goes on to say "Who'es got all my money / Them bitches done shaved
me dry" or words to the effect, so the song doesn't me strike as
having anything to do with a social disease. Even in the disease
blues, "Goin' Down Slow," by Saint Louis Jimmy, it's not clear that
it's a social disease that's wasting his ass. It's more likely that
the sound is about consumption. Even "Killing Myself, Slowly by
Degrees" is a dope song. I don't know of *any* songs relating to
social diseases, but, given that there are probably hundreds, if not
thousands, of songs that I have yet to hear *of*, let alone hear, such
songs may very well exist. So, you never know. But I can't think of
any reason to suppose that, in a song by a black man that mentions
"blue balls,"  the phrase, "blue balls," is actually code for the
effects of a social disease and not the slang term with the meaning,
"blue balls."

Why would you want to consider the possibility that "blue balls" might
have something to do with a social disease in this particular case,
Ben? Scientific curiosity or unconscious racism? That you should raise
that particular question is in the context of my post seems strange.

BTW, what does "venereal buboes" mean? I realize that I could probably
Wikipedia the term. But, since you obviously have already studied up
on them, to the extent of wondering a black man might one have sung
about them, you can just tell me what they are and save me the
trouble.

The only slang term that I know of for gonorrhea is "clap." But, who
knows what (other) terms the colored may have used in 1934?

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain