Q: describing how one reads text

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jun 7 13:37:27 UTC 2009

At 6/7/2009 09:28 AM, Stephen Goranson wrote:
>boustrophedon

That's the word I was looking for (and due to not remembering it well
enough, did not find it in the OED) for text that's "(Written)
alternately from right to left and from left to right, like the
course of the plough in successive furrows."  But I am looking (also)
for a word -- if one exists -- to describe text that's written always
in the same direction on successive lines.

(And in passing, would "boustrophedon" apply also to text written
vertically, if lines were written alternately from top to bottom and
bottom to top?)

Joel