"some many"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 11 14:44:52 UTC 2009

At 9:17 PM +0800 6/11/09, Randy Alexander wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Tom Zurinskas<truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>  The "some many" quote was written at this site.
>>
>>  =20
>>
>  >
>http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2009/06/10/bring-the-quick-launch-toolba=
>  > r-back-in-windows-7/
>>
>>  You bring up an intersting point. ? We don't know from quote marks
>>if it's a=
>>  ? written quote or spoken quote. ? We need a different symbol. ?
>>We'll make th=
>>  at `"yak yak yak"`=2C unless there is a precedent. ? The symbol
>>(`) is locat=
>>  ed on my keyboard at top row left with the tilde (~). ? I don't
>>know the nam=
>>  e.
>
>If we provide a link, then whether the quote was spoken or written
>should be obvious.

Or we can google "some many" and find not just some but many
instances, at least some (if not many) of which do seem to be
eggcornish reconstructions of "so many".  Some may be from non-native
speakers--

why are some many girl getting pregant so young these days?
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/lifestyle-discussion/why-are-some-many-girl-getting-pregant-so-young-these-days/t.50698569_16/?

Many people feel confused why there are some many different prices on
so called "BB/CC" grade of Chinese Poplar plywood?
http://www.globalholz.de/China-Plywood-Grade_and_Construction.doc

Perhaps we can combine this thread with the earlier one on the
consequences of English globalizing to China.

LH