BFF

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Jun 11 14:50:29 UTC 2009

        At http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=304232,
posted 4/29/2002, in response to a request for suggested names for a
football club:

<<A friend of mine is on a hockey team and joined after the season had
started. The team's name was "Team B.F.F." but he never asked what the
initials stood for. Since these are 20-30 year old guys, we could only
guess the initials had to stand for something vulgar, and we could
figure out what the first two meant.

Anyway he finally thinks one day to ask a guy "Hey, what IS 'team BFF'
anyway?"

The guy gives him this look and says "Team Best Friends Forever, man!!!"

I guess (hope) it was a joke, but, well...
Team BFF. Heh.>>

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:34 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: BFF

Urban Dictionary has this back to November, 2003.  More people like the
translation "Best Friend For*ever*," but "Best F------ Friend" has its
adherents from the beginning.

Demeaning ad hoc translations are also mentioned.

2009 _Huffington Post_ (May 19) [
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/19/miss-california-coverage_n_2053
19.html
] :   Miss California caught the eye of the Donald probably with her
pageant-funded
boob job, become Sarah Palin's BFF, had many topless pics of her
releasedand became aFox News anchor .

JL