"some many"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 12 01:09:55 UTC 2009

At 8:45 PM -0400 6/11/09, Herb Stahlke wrote:
>This is the first eggcorn I've seen that violates a syntactic
>cooccurrence restriction.  "Some" and "many" don't cooccur, so what
>does it say about English speakers who write this eggcorn?  Clearly
>it's a feature of writing rather than of speech, although it seems to
>arise from the phonetic identity of reduced "so" before /m/ and
>reduced "some."  What doesn't make sense is how something that isn't
>syntactically possible shows up as the written form for [sm-'mEni].
>
>Herb

I'm not sure it's all that unlikely on syntactic grounds.  "Some
three", "Some five or six", etc. occur, so why not "some many"?
"Some several" also occurs widely, although I'd never say it, and
there's no likely reanalysis in that case.  What's odd about "some
many" to me is more the semantics, but perhaps here (as with "some
three", "some several"), the "some" functions as a specificity marker
for the relevant speakers--"Three/Several/Many X that I have in
mind..."

LH