"Big Apple" revisited... -- locating Alain Locke's "c. 1919" quote (1925)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 13 21:57:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Gerald Cohen<gcohen at mst.edu> wrote:
>    Alain Lockeąs quote of łc. 1919˛ turns out to be from his 1925 book
> (reprinted 1995) _The New Negro_.  I am indebted for this information to
> Kathleen Bethel (African American Studies Librarian, Northwestern University
> Library) and am very grateful for her assistance. Many thanks.
>
>    The quote is introduced by łHere in Manhattan˛ and says "Harlem is the
> precious fruit of the Garden of Eden, the big apple."

Good find!!

BTW, what encoding are you using? In UTF-8, I see the apostrophe and
the opening and closing quotes in your first line --

>    Alain Lockeąs quote of łc. 1919˛ turns out to be from his 1925 book

as respectively

 ą     U+0105 Latin Small Letter A With Ogonek
 ł     U+0142 Latin Small Letter L With Stroke
  ̢̢  U+0322 Combining Retroflex Hook Below

-- m a m