JHH on NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 14 16:42:43 UTC 2009

Among the definitions sampled in the article is

nebby (adj) Snoopy, inquisitive. (Usage: chiefly Pennsylvania)

Here in Central Indiana the pronunciation is "nibby."  I don't have
access to DARE, so I don't know if "nibby" is also there.  I wonder if
this is an instance of the lax front vowel merger best known in
"pin/pen" but also found before other consonants.

Herb