Ahra-lessnes in white-Southern speech

Darla Wells lethe9 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 15 17:51:46 UTC 2009

My daughter has picked up the local dialect and drops her [r]s all the time.
We are in Lafayette, Louisiana, and I am not sure, but what she is speaking
sounds like a cross between country Cajun and New Orleans Yat. I hear this
quite often among the college kids here who are from the area.
Darla

2009/6/15 Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com>

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Ahra-lessnes in white-Southern speech

> Are there any white-Southern speakers left who *don't* use [r] in all
> the places where Northerners do? I watched a Weather Channel show on
> the Great Tornado Season of '74. Many ordinary white folk from
> Kentucky and Alabama were interviewed WRT their memories of that
> season. Only one speaker, from around Dothan and Huntsville, Alabama,
> failed to use [r] and that was in only one word: *government*, which
> he pronounced as approximately "gum mint" [g^m mI at nt].
>
> They all used what black speakers usually characterize as the
> "hillbilly" dialect. The "Southern" dialect is the ahra-less one
> usually attempted nowadays only by Northern actors attempting to
> portray Southern-speakers.
>
> Is BE the only r-less AmE dialect left with a number of speakers large
> enough to bother to count?
> --
> -Wilson
> –––
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> -----
> -Mark Twain

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning. -Catherine Aird