"interrogate the question"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jun 18 23:23:11 UTC 2009

Is there something wrong with the following?  And how might one say
it in jargon-free, simple English?

"That tradition may ...be considered in terms of five overlapping
concerns: ... [one being] interrogating the question of black
nationalism and colonization".

In the OED, I see two possibilities --

"{dag}2. To ask about (something). Obs. rare.", most recent citation
"1698 FRYER Acc. E. India & P. 132 Interrogating the State of Europe,
the Government, Policy, and Learning."

"3.b. With question quoted", e.g. "1824 L. MURRAY Eng. Gram. (ed. 5)
I. 420 We may answer, by interrogating on our part; Do not those same
poor peasants use the Lever and the Wedge?"

But in both these forms, one doesn't interrogate a question, one
interrogates (about) the subject of the question.  And my instance
additionally doesn't fit 3.b. because it doesn't state (ask) the
question, it merely gives the question (issue) a title.

Joel