"interrogate the question"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jun 19 00:45:02 UTC 2009

At 6/18/2009 07:51 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>Looks like a mistaken substituting of "investigate" for
>"interrogate."  And here "question" = "issue."

I'd accept this explanation (excuse?) more readily if I hadn't been
coming across "interrogate" in (perhaps post-modernist or
deconstructivist?)* historical studies not infrequently recently.  I
don't, unfortunately, remember if those other instances are as
lacking in graceful expression as this one.

*No one, of course, can answer this question.  "Any effort to explain
deconstruction is therefore doomed according to the theory
itself.  Any effort to say anything ["anything" italicized], in fact,
must go astray."  (Written by Steven Lynn, in _Texts and Contexts:
Writing About Literature with Critical Theory_.)