"interrogate the question"

Fri Jun 19 02:14:06 UTC 2009

Jonathan is as right as language allows in this case.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>

Date:         Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:42:10
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] "interrogate the question"

"Interrogate" has been a favorite word among postmodern theorists for nearly
thirty years.  It's what the Gestapo and the KGB were famous for, so
naturally it appeals to powerless deconstructionists.

I think Jerry's interpretation is right in this case, but that assumes that
the writer actually had a grip on what s/he was trying to say - an
assumption that Derrida roundly rejected. The law of the "infinite play of
signs" says that whatever you think was meant is certainly wrong, or at
least incomplete to the point of meaninglessness.

And remember, language speaks you, not vice versa.

Now don't you feel foolish?

JL