"lager beer", 1850, 1855

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 20 15:41:21 UTC 2009

This supports (if not definitively so) the claim
made by Yuengling that theirs is the oldest
American brewery, founded 180 years ago; their
"Traditional Lager" (not bad, as of three days
ago) would be an instance of the definition
below.  (The name is pronounced "YING-ling",
whence the frequent assumption by auslanders that
it's Chinese, but it's actually respelled
American-style from the original "Jüngling"
family name.

LH