Antedating of Yeah [Was: flay / flea (and other "ea" words)]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 21 22:16:46 UTC 2009

John, an even better ex. is on p. 58:

" That's a fact, and I've done you some good turns, hain't I ?"

'' Yeah; and I've allers felt good 'eal of gratertude fur it."

But it's still an extremely rare item in the 19th C., even in dialogue of
this sort.

JL