RI cabinet was: Re: non-coda r-loss

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Jun 22 13:06:22 UTC 2009

It's more a function of geography than anything else, Wilson. I grew
up in Buffalo, NY, with a mother who was from Belmont, MA. I learned
early on about "frappe"  because of her resistance to the term
"milkshake."

I was in Herrell's in Cambridge last week and was surprised to see
that they did *not* have "frappe" listed but rather had "milkshake."
Where you encounter it really does vary, and some people maintain a
"frappe"/"milkshake" distinction and some don't. "Frappe" is
disappearing from menus and use.

---Amy West
Worcester, MA