Antedating of "Ms."

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Jun 22 17:16:04 UTC 2009

I found a jpg of that tombstone online -- I don't think ads-l lets me
attach images to messages, so here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40083302@N00/2656841420

I'm assuming it's an undoctored photo -- I haven't seen the tombstone
myself.

Note that the stonecutter abbreviates by carving M with a superscript
S (hard to see -- I adjusted contrast in photoshop and enlarged a tiff
of the image to get some detail),  a common way to abbreviate (see
similar practice on the stone with Yr for year).

Fred Shapiro just sent me a pdf of the Salt Lake Daily Tribune page,
and the article is straightforward in proposing Ms as an alternative
to Miss or Mrs when one doesn't know the marital status of the person
address. The writer suggests pronouncing Ms. as "mizz" -- the voiced
form being usefully ambiguous "in many bucolic regions" where Miss and
Mrs. are similarly pronounced (of course in non-"bucolic" usage Miss
is voiceless, and that's the pronunciation I had found for Miss dating
from the 40s or 50s.. To use a technical linguistics term, this find
is way, way cool.

Alas, Springfield Mo. is quite a schlep from central illinois (well,
everything is, pretty much) but I'm tempted to call the Springfield
library and ask for an image of the Springfield Republican page, if
they'll make one for me from their microfilm.

Dennis
____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics