went walkabout (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 25 03:19:18 UTC 2009

My God! Has so much time passed? Back in the 'Seventies, Walkabout was
possibly the biggest Australian movie ever released in the U.S. It
made the director's career, though, as fate would have it, the careers
of the stars went nowhere in particular. The last that I've heard of
Jenny Agutter that I can remember was a small book of her photographic
work that I came across in Widener. I don't remember the year. It was
probably some time in the 'Eighties.

I saw the Aborigine boy in a later Australian movie, when he was fat
and forty and fully dressed, some time in the 'Nineties, on the IFC.
As far as I know, the little brother must have vanished from the face
of the earth, though he could have grown up to be any of a number of
Australian actors, for all that I know.

Walkabout was resurrected on the IFC in the 'Nineties. I've seen it
possibly thirty times, over the past quarter-century.

Once was too much for Crocodile Dundee. I don't recall hearing
"walkabout" in the dialogue, but I saw the movie on TV and dozed my
way through it. I could easily have missed the reference.

-Wilson

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Mullins, Bill
AMRDEC<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: went walkabout (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> I think I learned it from the movie "Crocodile Dundee". Â Anyone who has
> seen the picture would be familiar with it.
>
> Also, Jenny Agutter was in a movie called "Walkabout", set in Australia.
> Don't know how big a release it had in the U.S.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain