went walkabout

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 25 03:33:29 UTC 2009

At 10:47 PM -0400 6/24/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Perhaps I misunderstood who said what, and who was suggesting
>what.  I thought the TPM correspondent had used "walkabout".  But if
>that was only Laurence Horn, and the TPM correspondent merely said
>"hiking the Appalachian Trail", my comment becomes  --  did the TPM
>correspondent actually suggest that that would become a
>euphemism?  And (especially) for what?  Being absent from one's
>duties for five days without saying where one was (and providing a
>false explanation)?  Or more presciently, for being with ones
>illicit paramour?
>
>Joel

No, the sequence was that the TPM guy (actually, "SP", who wrote in
response to TPM, as my earlier message indicated) suggested that
"hike the Appalachian Trail" could be a nice euphemism, but it wasn't
clear at that stage for what--the illicit paramour bit hadn't broken
until today.  I thought it was impressive to have noted a
euphemism-to-be in that way.  "Walkabout" wasn't part of SP's posted
message, which Ben provided the link to:
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2009/06/coining_a_phrase.php

It is confusing, but blame it on Sanford, not us.

LH