Q: "Upham ’s Collection of Newspaper Extracts"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jun 26 15:46:52 UTC 2009

Stephen, in what database did you find my letter?  And is there a
fuller title for the newspaper?  (I'm not finding anything by the
name "London Evening Post" for 1755.  WorldCat confirms that there
was such a beast that year, but only leads me to some works about
letters from it!)

At 6/26/2009 09:50 AM, Stephen Goranson wrote:

>FWIW, there are also New Jersey archive-related mentions of "Upham[']s
>Collection of English Newspaper Cuttings,"

Yes that's one of the places I found that has the letter, although
none of my three sources identified --

>and the letter, or an extract of it,
>dated April 18, 1755 was printed in London Evening Post (London, England),
>Thursday, July 3 [to July 5], 1755; Issue 4314. p.1 col. 3.

I had wondered, since Upham's Collection is sometimes called "English
Newspaper Cuttings", whether it had in fact been published (? only)
across the seas, since I hadn't been able to find it in EAN.

Thanks,
Joel