scroot

Michael Sheehan Wordmall at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 27 13:02:18 UTC 2009

Can someone direct me to the origin of scroot, meaning a mutt?
Citations:

o     1907 October, Josephine Tozier, A Spring Fortnight in France, Dodd,
page 183,
           "...I would be willing to ride in any kind of a car. I would
even go in a scroot, if
           necessary."
           "What in the world is a scroot, Margot?"
           "It is only my name for one of those nasty little, smelly,
noisy, ancient automobiles
           that go shaking past our country place at home. I stole the word
from papa. It is
           what he calls a ragged little cur, just plain dog. My scroot is
just plain ragged
           motor, without fancy trimmings."
o     1920, Herschel S. Hall, Steel Preferred, E.P. Dutton, page 34,
           "The young whelp!" he roared to Nicker. "The yellow scroot! Why,
the bloody
           little boozer!"
o     2005, Edgar Martin, Boots and the Mystery of the Unlucky Vase,
Kessinger Publishing, ISBN 1417986026, chapter 4,
       page 73,
           The blamed hound, the mangy scroot!

Michael J. Sheehan
The Senior Corner, TADL
http://seniors.tcnet.org

Make your summer sizzle with fast and easy recipes for the