"Hiking the Appalachian Trail" re-redux

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Sun Jun 28 21:12:56 UTC 2009

Alice said:

'In the past week, we've speculated as to whether "hiking the Appalachian
Trail" will have legs as a euphemism for something like "disappearing
for a romantic tryst", in the wake of Gov. Sanford's failed cover story
for his Argentine adventure.

This morning I had my radio set to an XM baseball week in review show.
At it's open, one host welcomed the other back from his vacation on the
Appalachian Trail, and both took great pains to emphasize that he
*really, really* was *really* *just* hiking.'

It's reached Urban Dictionary as well:

http://tinyurl.com/HikingInAppalachia-UD

_Hiking in Appalachia_ is the 27 June 2009 Word of the Day; the lemma is,
_sic_:

'To have an extramarrital affair. Stems from the disappearance and
subsequent reappearance of South Carolina Governor, Mark Sanford(R). Gov.
Sanford was thought to be hiking in Appalachia. In actuality, he was having
an affair in the South American country of Argentina.

Example; Girl, I just saw Susie's man hiking in Appalachia.'

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK

Tel. (office) +44 (0)1904 432665
     (mobile) +44 (0)771 853 5634
Fax  +44 (0)1904 432673

BORDERS AND IDENTITIES CONFERENCE, JAN 2010:
http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb/bic2010/

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang/people/pages/hall.htm