"terminally" = utterly; extraordinarily

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Jun 30 15:08:12 UTC 2009

While I am relying solely on my intuitions on the subject (something no responsible linguist would do :-) ), I agree with Victor that I find no sense of death involved with phrases such as 'terminally stupid', 'terminally weird' etc.  Just a sense of being 'beyond help', 'irretrievably', and so on.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)