FWIW

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 30 17:55:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Randy Alexander
<strangeguitars at gmail.com> wrote:

> This has been discussed before on the list a few times.  In a
> technologically simplified nutshell, it happens because odd characters
> or formatting are being used in "rich formatting" mode, as opposed to
> "plain text" mode.

For certain values of "odd",* a calculation which unhappily reminds me
of Mr. Z's characterization of non-ASCII fonts as "special". I found
myself in the peculiar position of defending him there, as his
*stated* target is learners as ignorant as he is; but I really don't
think a professional forum should be so crippled. (No exclusion
intended of non-professionals.)

* Evidently including whatever followed the first period in that
paragraph of yours, Randy -- I see a capital A with circumflex after
"times.".

> The simple solution is for users to send posts only in plain text mode.

This is true, as far as it goes. But it is not simple for those of us
who have to switch our mail programs to Neolithic for this list and
then back to 21st century for every other addressee. In fact, it is a
small but unyielding PITA, a never-ending nuisance and time loser. Is
it not possible -- somehow, some way -- for the UGA systems people to
make the list compatible with Unicode characters and standard types of
text formatting?

m a m