Oldest words in English?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 1 16:05:53 UTC 2009

If you're like me, you have in front of you a copy of Norris McWhirter's
_Guinness Book of World Records: New! Giant 1980 Super-Edition!_, and
you're looking at p. 207, which states:

"Some as yet unpublished research indicates some words of a
pre-Indo-European substrate survive in English, including apple (apal), bad
(bad), gold (gol), and tin (tin)."

Comments?

JL