"Soldier"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Mar 1 17:00:16 UTC 2009

I'm unclear what is a "technical context".  The word 'marine" goes
back to 1672, of course (OED).  In American newspapers going back to
1704 (the first year of the first American newspaper) there are
articles using the term taken from English newspapers.

In 1706 Joseph Dudley, the governor of Massachusetts, issued "A
PROCLAMATION, For the better Regulation of Seamen and
Marines."  Boston News-Letter, 1706 Nov. 4, page 3.  [EAN]  This
clearly originated in America, and distinguishes sailors from
"soldiers" -- although it applies to the marines of the royal navy.

On Nov. 15, 1739, the King said to Parliament "And as in the
Prosecution of this War, a Number of Soldiers, to serve on board the
Fleet, may be requisiste; I have judged it proper, that a Body of
Marines should be raised."  Boston News-Letter, 1740 March 6, page 1.  [EAN]

In the same issue of the BNL, page 2, a dispatch from London says
"Two Thousand Five Hundred Marine Soldiers are to be raised for his
Majesty's Service.

Joel