Snow

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 2 03:48:52 UTC 2009

At 10:25 PM -0500 3/1/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The object of a preposition cannot be the subject of a sentence. So
>"inches," not "snow," is (not "are") the subject, and "are" (not "is") is
>correct.
>
>JL

So "A lot of people was in the room"?  "A number of objections was raised"?

Some historical prep. objects are now heads, e.g. [A lot of][people].
"A number of X" works that way for most (all?) speakers too.  I could
go either way with "13 inches of snow": "snow" as head noun with "13
inches of" as quantifier (as with "a lot of") or "inches" as head
with "of snow" as prepositional phrase; I'd get "is" and "are"
respectively.

LH