Snow

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 2 14:02:15 UTC 2009

In my world (and I'm quite comfortable there) "lot" and "number" require
plural verbs.  It has nothing to do with being objects of prepositions.

The general drift of American English over many years, however, has been to
make the verb agree with an immediately preceding noun, regardless of logic
or traditional syntax, though the singular seems to me to be preferred in
most cases.

This used to be only in speech, but I'm starting to see it more and more in
"competently" edited print (though there it is still infrequent).

JL