"jewels" as "family jewels" (genitals) in 1450?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Mar 3 01:24:50 UTC 2009

Perhaps someone having Brandl can cf. page 414, and make public the
context of the privytes.

 From the OED's Bibliography:
Brandl, Alois.
Quellen des weltlichen Dramas in England vor Shakespeare (Pride of
life, Mankind, Nature; J. Heywood's Love, Wether, Merry play;
Respublica, King Darius; Misogonus; Horestes, Gismond of Salern;
Common conditions) 1898.

And separately, "Mankind" seems to be in LION.

At 3/2/2009 06:02 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>It certainly seems that way; but it might be a mistake to assume a general
>continuity of usage since the Middle Ages.
>
>Of the word, I mean.

You mean something as slangy, masculine, and clever as this metaphor
died out?  Hard to believe.  :-)

Joel