Song Lyrics Appearing First as Poems

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Mar 3 15:03:39 UTC 2009

An interesting case:  Students are often intrigued to learn that the lullaby sung on the Beatles' album _Abbey Road_, beginning "Golden slumbers seal your eyes," was anticipated by a poem (beginning "Golden slumbers kiss your eyes") in Thomas Dekker's _Pleasant Comedy of Patient Grissell_ (1598).  However, versions of the song have survived in oral tradition since Elizabethan times, and Dekker himslef may have used a folksong in the play--not an original composition.

--Charlie